Monday, June 11, 2012

Why run an MRI?

On my forum for Hemihypertrophy the importance of running an MRI on the brain was talked about, seems some don't have this run. For my son, I was rather insisting on how this would be done, but it would be done. I just wanted him to have gas first and then his veins entered. Seems they just didn't understand how complicated this child is at the Macon Children Hospital. Frankly they seemed like a bunch of idiots guessing on how to knock him out or calm him enough to put a needle into his arm. Yes, gas has some risks, but so does the numbing cream that they put on his arms in huge amounts under a plastic coating. I know, I got some on my lips and tongue and had issues for a day.

The importance of having an MRI was pointed out by a grandmother of a child with Hemihypertrophy. Jane Cooper had this to say, "MRI's are very important, my Granddaughter Scarlett has left sided hemi and her brain is affected, one half of the brain is larger and it has affected her optic nerve and has consequently affected her sight in her left eye, also it has affected how the brain fluid drains, she'll have to have a shunt when she is older, without the MRI we wouldn't have known any of this so I urge you or anyone else to do this!" 




Adele Cloete Had this to say about why an MRI should be run,"As organs can be affected and could cause problems. In Jessica's case, her kidneys were affected and caused some slight dietary changes when she was smaller. In left sided Hemi, the heart could be enlarged and would need to be monitored closely. As Hemi is still a very "unknown" condition, I would rather have these scans done and deal with any potential problems as early as possible."



No comments:

Post a Comment